View Single Post
      10-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #407
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali_Mark View Post
Hi all, looking at purchasing my first BMW and hoping to get your opinion.

I'm looking at a 2014 328i xdrive wagon with M sport package, with 144,000km (89k miles).

I had it brought to a BMW dealership for the pre purchase inspection, and the results were mostly good. Needs front brakes, some light rash on 2 wheels, paint is good, tires good.

The only concern is the front struts have leaked some, and will likely need replacing. As it has the adaptive suspension the quote from BMW to fix this was astronomical, but after looking through the forms and exploring aftermarket, replacing with Bilstein B4 doesn't scare me. I want to keep the stock ride height for winter so this seems like the best option.

The only thing that is keeping me from buying the car is the timing chain issue. The more I read the more hesitant I become. The dealer listened to the engine and said it sounds great, if there was an issue they'd be able to hear it.

What do you guys think? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
I've got 70k miles on my 328i now and zero problems. I love it. Yes, there has been talk about timing chain issues, but I'm not losing sleep over it. You live in NS so the xDrive is probably important. Just know that the suspension on xDrives is different, not necessarily worse but different. There is a lot of information on this forum. Do a little searching if you want. I've not seen an m-sport touring before. I'm sure it looks awesome. Good luck!
Appreciate 0