View Single Post
      04-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by XENONX View Post
does any one see any particular reason for BMW to create this 3 line subdivisions other than making us more confused and to make us pay $2000 or so on average over the 3 lines for things that I see not that of a big deal. It creates this issue of thinking that even if u buy the no-li.e loaded you'd probably run into issues selling it later because it a "no-line". For me I see this a total money generation oriented move.
Here in the UK, BMW made a survey for the 3-series several years ago. I could see they were trying to gauge whether customers wanted packages like the lines, rather than a simple base model with a long option list. Also asked detailed questions, really to see where the price barrier was, for a package type of model.

I imagine this survey was conducted over the markets, and the 'lines' idea got the 'thumbs up' from customers.

Personally I'm not surprised to see it, as other manufacturers in Europe seem to be more into a wider range/lines idea, with more specials being added to model ranges. It seems to follow the fashion theme, but sure will make it harder to find the perfect used car, IMO, as there will be some prettty odd specced cars, once options are added to lines. That certainly looks to be the case from the UK perspective, with the lines and options we have listed.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0