06-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #58
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooper View Post
This thread is making my head hurt.

The C Coupe is a direct competitor to the 4 Series. Here is the line-up from BMW with the range of direct competitors from MB and Audi:

3 Series / C Class / A4
4 Series / C Class Coupe / A5
5 Series / E Class / A6
6 Series / E Class Coupe / ???
6 GC / CLS / A7

Now yes, we all know that the Mercedes E Coupe is nothing more than a slightly more tarted up C Coupe, but that still doesn't change the fact the Mercedes tries to convince people that it's a 6 Series competitor, not a 4 Series competitor.

I'm actually kind of curious to see what Merc will do with the next C. The C Coupe came about to be a direct competitor to the 3 Coupe, but since BMW has now pulled the trigger with the 4 Series moniker, I wouldn't be surprised to see the next C Coupe adopt another moniker. Will we see the CLK nomenclature make a return from the dead? Maybe something else altogether? Who knows.

Be that as it may, right here right now, the C Coupe is the 4 Series competitor. Not the E Coupe, not the CLS, or whatever else you care to mention.
Yeah, I'll agree with the people saying the E coupe is not a competitor to the 4 series. Two different cars, with two different luxury styles. Plus with the E coupe, you have a choice of a v8 (E550), and you don't get that with the 4 series (yet). The upcoming M4 would compete with the C63 coupe.

Love the new 4 series, but I also love the E coupe (only 550 though). I always wondered why the AMG boys never made a E coupe AMG.