Dev_inlife
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyEvo8u View Post
Hey All!

Longtime lurker on the forums, thought I would share the bad news with everyone. Back in May of 2015, I took ownership of a new to me BMW 328i F30. I have had no issues with the car for 4 Full years! It was my baby and i never beat on it since I have another car to do that in. This car was met to be my daily for many years to come and I was also planning on becoming a loyal BMW customer with hope of getting the wife in a X5 within the next year or so.

Well let's jump into the issue that made my week go to hell. Driving to work approx. 55 MPH. I get the low oil pressure light followed by the Drivetrain malfunction light. I pulled over to the side of the road asap and had it towed to BMW. BMW called today, cause of failure was timing chain which then took the whole motor out. They want $11,000 to replace the motor...... I am super frustrated since I am a year out warranty and currently sit at 107,000 miles. There were absolutely no warning signs which makes me even more upset. As I said i don't beat on the car, i coded it to jump into eco-mode at all times. It rarely comes out of eco-mode and was never modified or tuned.... Other issue, I still owe $9,000 and was planning to either trade in this month for a new BMW or pay off in full due to balloon financing. Still trying to weight in on what to do here.

I do have a case in with BMW USA right now, but highly doubt they are going to cover anything. What pisses me off is that the failure occurred because of the timing chain issue that had an extended warranty.

So currently shit out of luck and kind of stuck in a huge predicament. I babied this car and always serviced it on time. Timing chains shouldn't go like that ever.....

I will keep you all updated, but as of right now. Pretty upset BMW owner. And I understand BMW doesn't owe me anything, but this is some screwed up situation.. Especially since there was an extended warranty for this.

EDIT: BMW USA already got back to me, their not going to cover the car at all.

EDIT #2: If you are reading this and you own a 2012-early 2015 N20. I would strongly recommend spending the money to have the new timing chain and guard put in, or trade it in now. I had no warning signs.

Edit #3: Was able to source a 2016 N20 Motor. It is going in this week. Hope this problem has been dealt with and the car will last another 5 years now hahahahaha.

Edit #4: If you have had a timing chain failure: Report it to NHTSA! the more reports they receive the better chance for a recall! This also helps aid in the legitimacy of the Class action suite! It took me 5 mins to do!https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I too fear my car is suffering from the same predicament. I however heard the whining noise and immediately took it to the dealer. I know this is a F30 forum but, my problem is I can't seem to find more people with MY2013 F10's citing these timing chain issues. All in the thread and soon to join the thread please continue to detail your experiences as they happen. I just want to get more of an idea of what to expect until I here something back from the SA.

***Quick back story***
I used to own a MY2014 320i xDrive:
https://cdn.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1561468269

Unfortunately this was the beauty after heading to work a 8 months ago:
https://cdn.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1561468269

Someone ran a stop sign and the Insurance took the rest

Just hoping to have some time with the F10. Bought it 6 months ago with 50k miles and currently has 57k
Attached Images

Appreciate 0