View Single Post
      01-27-2020, 02:32 PM   #9
B50AteYourRide
a bit obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 340i x Drive

Does anyone specifically know the difference between the Pure Stage 2 and the 800? I thought the 800 was replacing the Stage 2. There is little information of a technical variety on their website. I was told that with Pure, the wheels were based on Mitsubishi designs, can anyone verify that? Forced Performance has had great results with Mitsubishi wheels.

Also, Pure requires a core where Vargas doesn’t. I get that Vargas has their own compressor housings, so in a drop in situation, a core isn’t necessary. I heard Pure machines the cores to accept their wheels. Where I’m curious is on the turbine side. If that’s true, it would be preferable to machining the wheel to fit the housing. With Pure, do you get new bearings and all?

What I really want to know is if Pure does any significant machining to the OEM turbine housing on either the Stage 2 or the 800? Theoretically, it is possible that they could machine the turbine housing. Theoretically, enough machining could be done to change the turbine A/R. Changing the turbine A/R would be a material difference in flow. I think with the B58, improvements on the turbine side will make a bigger difference than the compressor side from what I have heard.

A step better, for flow purposes, would be a Garrett G30 turbine or GTX 35 turbine, not that it has to be Garrett, but their sizes sort of are a standard. I would love to see a G30. The Vargas GC turbine sort of resembles a G30, but I’m skeptical that this is what it actually is. At best it’s a clipped G30 wheel, or a copy. I don’t know. That is what I would be interested in finding out. That’s back to my point about machining the turbine housing. If the Vargas GC reuses the OEM housing, the turbine A/R can’t be changed. At best you can have a better flowing wheel. If Pure is machining the turbine housing using the OEM casting to change the A/R that would probably be more significant. Depends on how much better that 9 blade turbine flows. That, I also don’t know. Maybe the Pure Stage 2 is better compared against the Vargas GC+. I just want to know what Pure is doing with their turbines.

I’m used to endless turbo options with the Subaru EJ257 platform. These options are another thing entirely. Some EFR options are great but the 9176 is pretty huge.

Looking back to just last August, it’s amazing how much progress has been made with DME and fueling. Turbos now make more sense as an upgrade. Hope to see more options coming.
Appreciate 0