View Single Post
      12-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #83
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni-Rapide View Post
I was wondering about the difference in spool between the Pure 800 and VTT GC. Also in comparison with the stock turbo to get a better understanding about the impact on daily driving when going for an upgraded turbo.
Looking at the dyno graphs below provided by both manufacturers showing the difference between the stock and upgraded turbo, it seems like the VTT GC spools quicker than the Pure 800.

Attachment 2400816

Attachment 2400817

However it's two different cars, two different tunes, two different dyno's so maybe not the best way to compare.
So I started looking for some logs and found a couple of the Pure 800 and VTT GC that seemed useful.
Similar cars with similar mods and similar starting point/rpm of the logs but still different tuners and unfortunately the GC log is a third gear instead of the others being fourth gear.
I loaded them in Virtual Dyno: 2x Pure 800 (red and green), VTT GC (blue) and a stock turbo (orange) and looked only at the boost graph:

Attachment 2400818

To my surpise it seems like the Pure 800 has a slightly better spool than the VTT GC, which is not what I expected based on the OP information and also because I thought the Pure 800 has I higher power potential and therefore should have worse spool?
What is clear is that the stock turbo has a much quicker spool.

Then I thought maybe I should not look at boost vs rpm but look at boost vs time. So made an Excel graph based on the same logs using the same colours:

Attachment 2400819

In this graph it seems like the VTT GC seems to have a little bit quicker spool than the Pure 800 at least it ramps up quicker after the first second.
Stock turbo still clearly the quickest.

Based on this (not very scientific) comparison I would say there is not much difference in spool between the Pure 800 and VTT GC, which surprises me to be honest.
What do you guys think?
Has anyone experienced both turbos and can shed some light on the situation?

Or should we try to get some logs that a better comparable?
Maybe some of the Pure 800 and VTT GC guys are willing to do a couple of logs on a BM3 or MHD OTS tune in 4th gear starting at 2000 rpm? Just to also take the tune out of the equation?
I think you are underestimating the difference in gear on spool. A 3rd gear pull vs a 4th gear pull can alter spool as much as 700RPM. You cannot really compare spool between a 3rd, and 4th gear pull. The GC will outspool the 800 by a long shot in the same gear... Also we are getting new data in from testers on the GC+. Here are some 60-130's and 100-200's from a GC+ car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2