TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
The car will use a little bit of electric boost when you get over 85% charge (like after going down a hill) whether or not you use cruise control.

Remember that electricity isn't free. Your car generates electricity either by going down hill or braking or BURNING GAS and taking the efficiency hit of gas -> kinetic -> electricity -> kinetic.

The car at steady state drives like a gas car. That is how all hybrids work. Unless you can fill up the battery using an external charger, using electricity that you didn't get for free is a dumb idea.

EDIT: As far as the terrain map optimized mode through the nav, I've never seen my 2013 AH3 do that as well. I think those maps were only for Europe. It also never seemed to "learn" anything about elevation through repeatedly driving the same routes. Perhaps someone with a 2014 can comment on whether or not anything has changed. It's a good idea in theory though, but I've never seen it happen.
The only way I've been led to believe that my car is doing anything differently related to map optimization of the Nav guidance is when the hybrid display is active in iDrive. The other day I had the hybrid display up, and was using the Nav guidance. As I got fairly close to the destination, the hybrid display had all of these blue streaks appear behind the imaginary car, and a checkered flag appeared in the upper right hand corner of the hybrid display, similar to the one in the Nav menu when you select enter destination. Now, it could just be a signal that you are close to the destination, or it could be the map optimization causing changes in the parameters of the hybrid system as you approach your destination.

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 0