10-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #15
acorradi87
Private
Rep
Drives: e39

Some thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kognition View Post
Sales of the ATS may be an indicator as to whether BMW Marketing has pushed engineering too far the other way. Apparently they intend the M335i, etc models to cover the enthusiast crowd and the pure ///M models to cover the hard core enthusiasts. Unfortunately, it would seem the general luxury car consumer actually wants a rather dull driving experience. This is so sad!!!
Totally agree. It's as if to get a great sporty/dynamic experience you have to 'upgrade' to an M-performance for full blown M model. As a business school student, I can't deny that this is actually a smart business move because the average consumer doesn't care about a dynamic driving experience. For us enthusiasts though, it sucks.

A couple thoughts after watching the video:

- It's sad that the 'standard' sport suspension isn't acceptable anymore and enthusiasts would almost feel required to upgrade to an adaptive suspension. I don't like fiddling with a controller and prefer a static suspension, like the one on my e60 550 M-Sport.

- (Note: this is for all makes not just BMW) Is electric power steering around for good? I've not read one review where they didn't mention that there was a severe lack of steering feel due to electric assist power steering. Is hydraulic really only reserved for M models now? Artificially weighting it doesn't count as 'feel'. I realize it's due to a fuel savings issue though... maybe my anger should be directed at CAFE standards?

- As much as I want to love the ATS, and although I do appreciate their great effort, the ATS needs to be refined just a bit. Maybe when the model is refreshed in a couple years it'll be the e46 clone they want it to be. The interior is too busy, but it's nice to know they can do a great suspension and they didn't do the typical GM thing by downsizing a larger model as this car is quite light.

- I've always been a 'biggest engine possible' kind of guy, hence why I have a 550 (M models are too hardcore for me), but the things I hear about the 328 are greater and greater every time. I'd like my next car to be the F31 M-Sport Wagon and initially I was unhappy that they wouldn't offer a 335 Wagon but I'm becoming more and more okay with it. I'll certainly enjoy the fuel savings.
Appreciate 0