View Single Post
      05-05-2019, 04:37 PM   #7
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

OK silly idea BUT... assuming you ONLY had 20k miles on your stock struts/shocks when you had them installed... AND you put maybe 20k miles on the car... that STILL isn't enough miles to blow out a stock shock normally.

If you heard a rattling noise within the first few thousand miles... I suggest checking the installation job.

Why? I had Hotchkis springs on my BRZ by a reputable BMW shop and they discover that one of the stock struts was blown. The shop that did the spring install (ASE certified shop) documented it. I had Subaru replace the strut under warranty. BUT as I was driving away from the dealership, the car was rattling - BAD.

The Subaru tech claimed it was because of the springs.

I got home, took a half day off work and checked ALL the bolts and nuts. And guess what. The top strut nut was NOT torqued down. It was loose. I got out my torque wrench and put it to the 14.5lb spec. And... no more rattle. (And a *nice* email to Subaru was sent.)

Before you go down the hellhole that is warranty service... bring the car back to the installer. Rattles are usually pretty easy fixes.

BTW A blown front strut/shock is pretty obvious, the car will corner like crap on the offending side.
Appreciate 0