View Single Post
      11-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude987 View Post
Finally got past the break in mode and got 4,000 km (2,500 mi) on bimmer. It came with the 18” Bridgestone Potenza S001 on the 400M mixed wheels. Recently swapped out the summer tires for a A/S non-RFT 18” Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position on 18x8 Enkei Racing PF01 on all four wheels. The A/S wheel/tire combo appears to be about 6 lbs lighter per wheel for a total of 24 lbs less then the OEM wheels.
Thanks for the review.

I just had a set of RE970's installed at the TireRack last Friday.
Seems you like them too.

The S001's are actually a very good riding RFT and fairly quiet.
After 100 miles the new shoes have broken in better.
The cabin is actually a bit quieter than with the S001's, which were already quiet.
The steering response with the 970's is very nice. Response feels quicker, but it makes the 335i feel lighter up front more like the 328i, me likey.
Very positive with the new AS tires so far.

There are some negatives. They flat spot over night and after sitting all day at work, and it takes a few miles for them to round out. Do you feel that with your new tires too?
Also, these are heavy tires compared to some of the other UHP AS tires, and I can feel it on some bumps.
I was hoping for a bit better bump cushion over the RFT's. The new AS tires do take a bit of the bang off bumps compared to the RFT's, but not as much as the Conti DWS did. But then the RFT's on my 135i were brutal on bumps, very brutal. The S001's are not nearly as bad.

TireRacks testing showed the RE970's as losing 1mpg compared to the other UHP AS tires they went up against. But I haven't noticed any MPG loss yet. PSI is at stock, but I'll be bumping them up to the high speed PSI soon. I wanted to try the standard pressures first.

The over all grip of these AS tires is amazing. As good as the S001's are, the 970's feel like they have a touch better grip, and braking feels shorter too. VERY suprising considering the S001's are rated as 'max performance' summer tires.
All season technology has really improved over the years. The RE970's are one of the newest UHP AS tires in the market.

I'm sure you'll fair better in the winter with Xdrive than I will with RWD.
Let us know how they work out in the winter.

BTW, I too went with the 18's. Major reason was that I got to test drive a 335i sport with the 19's and the ride wasn't really firmer, it was just harsher. I think you made the right choice.
Plus, I prefer the look of the 18's as I like more of a 5 spoke design, easier to clean too, especially with the Msport's more aggressive, read DUSTER, design.
Appreciate 0