01-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #13
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_RETURN View Post
I turned off Auto Start/Stop the day I bought my car and never plan to use it NOT ever. If it gains maybe 2 MPG + over the life of the Vehicle that's just not worth it.
If you are gaining 2 MPG over the life of it, you are either A) driving only highway with an offramp next to your house or B) doing it wrong.

No it's not going to add up to thousands and thousands of dollars, but I didn't get where I am today pissing dollars down drainpipes either.

Quote:
An old mechanic (My Grandfather) told me the worst thing you can do an engine is start it. Every time you start an engine you are taking a few minutes off its natural lifespan because the protective film of oil in the bearings isn't fully under pressure and thus the most wear occurs at startup when the bearings, lifters etc are most vulnerable.
Funny thing about old mechanics.....they tend to, at a certain point, stop learning the new technology. I once had a guy who worked on cars professionally for 30+ years tell me ( a young punk teenager) that I was testing his V-belt alternator wrong on the machine....because I had the belt too tight, it should have 2" of play..... maybe in the 40s when he was wrenching that made sense, who knows, but it was directly opposite what the tech at the time was and is.

True, most wear occurs at startup when oil films are low to non-existent, but if the car was just running 1 minute ago a re-start does not occur with zero oil film. Pressure moves the oil through the system, lack of pressure does not vacuum it out, and gravity doesn't work that fast in the tight confines of the engine channels and clearances. In addition, with modern synthetics the protection applied to the metal reduces even the startup friction.

Ultimately it's about design, excessive start cycles on the old starts was hard, they were only designed for X number of starts based on trips averaged. Starters have come a long way, and even in cars without ASS they have been beefed up and improved over time. I promise you the design of a starter in an ASS equipped vehicle has been designed with the expected service in mind.

Quote:
However, If I never use the Start/Stop function is it possible my overdesigned starter and engine components may be good for 300,000+ miles?
Not any more likely than if you didn't, no.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0