09-15-2020, 07:43 AM   #12
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Very little to add to the above mentioned comments as alohasurftoad provided (as always) great advice together with others.

I suggest to approach this project with a slightly different perspective. What steps will provide the most benefit without limiting future suspension upgrades - if warranted?

Selecting and installing coilovers eliminates the variability which lowering springs and aftermarket shocks bring to the equation.

Couple of suggestions: KW V3 and Ohlins R&T coilovers.

KW V3 coilovers provide independent compression and rebound controls, offering a greater range of suspension tuning options.

Ohlins R&T coilovers have been extensively covered on this forum. Quick search will give you plenty of reading material.
I've looked at the track orientated dampers from bilstein and KW.
Waaaay over budget for me.

I'm now trying to find out some info about the stiffness of the range, still looking about, any ideas?

my point is - the Type R presumably didn't have special track dampers on them - i know my car is about 300kg heavier, so presumably requires stiffer dampers/springs to deliver similar composure -
would any of the kits below £1500 do?

here's what i've found so far that's within budget (some good sales going on so quite keen to buy now!):

- B12 Prokit = B8 shocks + Eibach pro springs £697.92
- B14 kit = £848.64
- B16 kit = £1483.20

- KW Variant 1 = £1200
- KW Variant 2 = £1500

Any other brands to consider?

And my question to the panel is.....out of the 5 kits above, which one is the cheapest that'll give me what i'm after?
if i knew the technical aspects of each kit it'd make the decision a bit easier, i wish there was some info sheet for each of them which told me how much stiffer they are, relative to each other, and when compared to the standard dampers on the car.

My limit is £1500 - if i can get away with spending <£1000, that would free up money for bushes - but really not fussed about the rear as the car is easily controllable on track. I just cannot stand the body roll and ducking/diving and want to get rid of it completely, even if it means sacrificing some lateral grip.

Over to you!

EDIT
to be clear - i'm not a track virgin......taken my car on 2 track days, done lots of skids. I've got no issue with its characteristics on oversteer (apart from needing the LSD), the car is pretty hilarious sliding about - my primary objective here is to cut out the body roll/ducking + diving, because at the moment the car floats around over its tyres - its all manageable but i miss the composure of the FK2 and just want to get back to that

(and no......i don't want a Type R, for some obvious reasons. fwd for starters. Also upgrading to an M4 is out the question, too expensive)

Last edited by gippy; 09-15-2020 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0