View Single Post
      06-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #27
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemigo13 View Post
I tested wagner EVO1 performance FMIC, it's not so big as EVO2, and wagner declares that it has less pressure drop than stock which is not true, I get ~50-60mbar (0.7-0.8psi) less top end boost pressure in the same gears same temperature same road. Temperatures on long pulls are far better of course I get ~25-30 degrees C lower IAT comparing to stock, but in general bigger the intercooler, bigger the drop.
Not sure if you are aware but less boost to make the same power is a good thing.

Your measurement is not conclusive of how pressure drop is measured.

These cars are tuned by load not boost. That means day to day, you will not have the same boost pressures exactly.

They target a load on the engine and boost is a derivative of the load.

In layman's terms, if you did a pull with this car to Sea Level and did another at 10,000 foot elevation, you'd see more boost at the high elevation (contrary to popular belief) because the car will actually run more boost to compensate for less oxygen in the air and it does this by targeting load.

On the same token, it will run less boost in winter and more boost in the summer, again to compensate on trying to achieve a specific load.

By no accident, with a better performing FMIC, you have reduced IAT, increased oxygen per molecule and therefore need less boost to maintain the same load.

If you want to measure pressure drop it has to be in a controlled environment just with the FMIC itself and pressurized with proper equipment.

You'll chase your tail trying to get a controlled environment on a car that doesn't target boost but actually targets load.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 06-07-2018 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 3