09-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #250
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by epistax View Post
I'm a bit concerned. I was thinking about getting the stage 1 (eventually upgrading to stage 2) and doing the installation myself. I read the installation guide online and it seems like no big deal. If a dealership can make a mistake, what hope do I have? What kind of mistake would they make?
Dealers for the most part stock un-programmed units. This gives them flexibility in the field to program for any car that may come in to the shop. A retail user would have a pre-programmed box that simply requires the physical installation. On the dealer side they are programming the unit via bluetooth at the shop in addition to the hardware installation. When programming via bluetooth there can be drops in connection if the car and the bluetooth receiver are too far away from each other or any some other type of bluetooth failure which could lead to a failed programming. Thats typically the most common reason why there would be a failed installation. If the tech isnt paying close enough attention they may just skip through the dialogue boxes telling them this and just assumed it was programmed. Now that we have built up some decent stock some dealers are just ordering more and more programmed units if they are given a heads up on install before hand that way they simply just have to do the physical installation and that potential pitfall is avoided.
Appreciate 1