View Single Post
      04-17-2024, 09:54 AM   #2
samspiderman3125
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclovin69x View Post
I’ve been hearing this clunk or knock sound when going over uneven road surfaces or bumps.

I first noticed this after switching out my shocks and struts to new ones. In this process, I remove the tie rod end from the wheel hub to make things easier. I know it’s not from either the shocks or the struts because I have done this before without removing the tie rods and have not had this issue.

Today I jacked up the car and re-torqued the tie rods to the wheel hub without preload and also tightened the steering rack bushing because I figured the noise might’ve been coming from there.

Made the noise a lot worse. I am almost certain it’s coming from the tightening of the steering rack bushing. If I loosen it, the sound is much worse. if I tighten it, the sound gets slightly better, but the steering gets so stiff that it doesn’t return to center after completing a turn.

What should my next steps be to fix this issue?

https://youtube.com/shorts/_fdu4-T88...UGCJoec-iq3mGD
check your sway bar end links, make sure theyre tight, jack the car up and have a friend turn the car so you can hear it down lower and isolate it
Appreciate 1