View Single Post
      04-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #21
TheWoo
Rep
Drives: 2011 E89 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyF30 View Post
Sure thing! Just trying to help from my (limited, but relevant) experience.

Just for context -- the earlier N20 is known for having an issue with the timing chain, and BMW extended the warranty to 7y/70k miles. It is well documented in this forum (try to start researching here for further detail). When it fails, it can do severe damage to the engine due to the messed up timing. Most people heard unusual "whining" sound prior to the failure.

On the flipside, it is also not as bad/prevalent as it seems because only the vocal minority that already took the hit that reported to this forum. However, my impression is the chain assembly failure is not a matter of "if", but "when".

If caught early (before damaging the engine) the cost of the replacement is ~$2-3k from what I heard (if outside warranty).

You will also see a lot of theories on how to "prevent" it, but none seems proven at this point.

Currently there is a class-action lawsuit going on. You can follow here:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1614899

This is a useful website for BMW owner reimbursement:
http://www.bmw-rp.com/production/bmw...bmw_portal.nsf

You can plug in your VIN and see if your N20 is a part of the extended warranty program. If it does, it is more likely to be produced during the "at risk" production period. I checked my SO's 528i (which was produced in mid/late 2015) and it showed none. Mine shows extended warranty.

The 01/2015 production date of yours seems cutting it close too. I did check yours on the website (bmw-rp) and it has the timing chain option, so it means BMW thinks yours is affected. Again, I don't think it is a clear cutoff on a certain date that they will update the part. There must be some gray area/overlaps.

Any forum member want to chime in on this?
Hey Thanks so much for the info! Does seem like "my" production date is right on the edge, however do you know when will the timing chain usually fail? At what mileage appx? I am interested in this car for its unusually low mileage(23k) so I was thinking I wouldn't have to deal with any big payments to the dealerships other than maintenance. Thanks again
Appreciate 0