View Single Post
      02-24-2016, 05:17 PM   #66
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
The transmission adaptation is over an extended period of time with continuous refinement. Because of this, a sudden change is driving habits will not have much of an impact on the overall logged history. That's why it needs to be reset.

The concept of different adaptations for different drivers can be handled via the different/unique keys (I'm assuming this - I haven't had an automatic BMW other than my '91 750).

I haven't read every comment in the thread, but based on previous threads here, you're probably right that folks are griping about normal characteristics.
I do wonder if erratic driver inputs are at least partly responsible for the negative feelings about gearbox function.

Adaptation to driving style is a continuous assessment and is not long term, so I don't follow why anyone requires to reset the gearbox adaptation values. Nothing to do with the driver style, gearbox adaptation values are essential to accommodate gearbox tolerances and wear. The "re-learn" process is not based on driving style, but specific driving procedures and protocol.

Like the 6HP, the 8HP is also equipped with ASIS (Adaptive Shift Strategy), which mirrors the driver’s mood within seconds, sharpening up response during quicker driving then slipping seamlessly into a more economical regime when the driver resumes a more relaxed approach.

Data for the 6HP with ASIS also states: "The driver-type adaptation is restarted each time the vehicle pulls away from a standstill". Still applicable to the 8HP.

I've driven my 5-series 8HP 'boxed example for 120 miles today in different driving conditions/environments. My outward journey was more relaxed, the drive home at a much faster pace. It works just as the comment above, mirrors the driver and conditions. There is no previous "driving style" to fight, it responds in seconds to a different style.

I've just don't follow this driver legacy nonsense we read about, not in 5, 6 or 8-speed ZF transmissions. Every drive is a new start, whether in slow driving flows, or a blast around the lanes, the gearbox wakes up when required, is lay back when the driver backs off.
Appreciate 0