Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphblade@sg View Post
DVC , any updates / reviews?
Good timing for a quick update on this, as I installed them Tuesday night, and I've had a couple days driving around with them. (Ohlins Road and Track coil overs are going on today, so those will be the next review... but I wanted to do these a few days after the subframe bushings so I could post thoughts separately on each mod : )

So the verdict on the subframe bushings is extremely positive so far. Even just daily driving to work, the difference is very noticeable... the chassis feels totally solid (in a good way); GONE is that mushiness where the rear feels a bit disconnected from the frame. I was skeptical about whether these bushings would provide a noticeable improvement, but the result has exceeded the most optimistic of my expectations. If there's one downside, it's that you can more clearly feel what the rear suspension is doing, and with stock (Dinan-enhanced) dampers, the limitations of the soft dampers are much more apparent... But the Ohlins coil overs going on today should take care of that!

As for NVH, there is really no degradation whatsoever. Yes, the car feels stiffer - but the suspension seems to work more effectively at maintaining compliance without the added complication of rear subframe motion. The end result is that the ride is no more harsh, just more stable, with better, more clear feedback on what the back end is doing. Back end movement is crisp, instead of squirmy. These cars absolutely should have come this way from the factory.

The only challenge with rear subframe bushings is the installation. I am fortunate to have a mechanic friend (who works at a well-provisioned race shop) who helped me with the install after hours. In order to do it right, we took the entire subframe off, as we needed to use a hydraulic bearing press to get the bushings seated all the way in. All together, it took us about 7 hours... not an easy install for a DIY. So to pay a shop to do it, it certainly becomes a more expensive mod than just the $350 price of the kit... but if you're looking to take a big step forward in making the car feel more solid and communicative, then it's totally worth it.

Last edited by DVC; 05-26-2016 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 3
anotheran389.00
DaFish156.50