11-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #138
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
I must admit I rather like the American section of this forum. My lot in the UK are a bit boring for my outré character and some tend to be quite brusque. But that's the nature of the beast.

I won't discuss my present financial status. I was lucky and born with a golden spoon in my mouth. However, everything I have attained so far is from really hard work (coupled with a fair degree of talent), preceeded by a very good education which my parents gave me. Due to this, I could make my own way in the world without relying on my family fortune which through war and pestilence disappeared quite rapidly. My only regret is that, in my formative years, I did not move to the USA. Great pity.

I am nearly 65 years young, have a full head of slightly greying hair, 6' 1" tall, weigh 147 British pounds, 29" waist, very fit, work 10-11 hours per day 5 days per week and commute to work by car. I've decided to retire when I am 69 years, that is, unless I am killed off by some unknown cause or disease. Hopefully, my excellent and expensive Private Health Insurance will prolong my life to enable my further enjoyment of the fruits of my success in the evening of my life.

I love very fast cars but cannot afford them. My ideal would be a Ferrari F12 or Ferrari FF. No German car compares. For true high end performance with style and kudos, it HAS to be an Italian Stallion.

But one thing I am absolutely sure of: I will never buy an American car. It would mean premature retirement from life.
Like you I won't discuss money. I find it crass. While I wasn't born with a golden spoon in my mouth, I was fortunate enough to have parents that sacrificed a LOT to make sure my brother & I could both do well in this world.I stayed in the family business to build it ( although I did go to college)while my brother is an Ivy league graduate with an engineering degree and is fortunate enough to travel the world doing what he loves.
Good for you putting in the hours you do. I hope I can still be working hard later into my life. My father is 75 and still puts in 6 days a week and working with Bulldozers & excavators is no joke. Everything is heavy. Unfortunately after a bad accident I'm not exactly moving around like I used to.Being in constant pain does funny things to you. It will just wear you out.
I agree with you about the REALLY fast cars except for one thing. I love the Porsche Carrera GT. The sound of the engine alone is intoxicating. But you are right , the F12 is gorgeous.
You have the right to your opinion and I respect that, but my original response to this whole thread was that the ATS is a more than competent car . To say that its a "3 series killer" by anyone is just stupid... bet hey that's what journalists do.Like a lot of things in life , your like & dislikes are usually formed by you surroundings. I could never see myself owning a small hot hatch. I just don't like small cars , but like I said , I know that has to do alot with how I grew up
I'm just building a new home and in my avatar you can see the shop that I built in the background. It'll fit about 16 cars.We just poured the radiant heated floor yesterday. If you ever find yourself in the US give me a shout. We may not agree on everything, but if we did, life would be awfully boring.Cheers
Appreciate 0