Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Code:
<own.thread.hijack>
I code my own car, but am not willing to take the responsibility of coding anyone else's.

I have suggested, however, to people in the Boston BMWCCA that we should have a coding group, which I'd be happy to participate in.

That has met with deafening silence. I love the BMWCCA -- and believe everyone here should belong. But the club is focused on older cars and neo-Luddites hold sway.

So, if you are in New England and you want to learn how to code your F30, go to the club website (http://boston-bmwcca.org/) or Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/BMWCCA.Boston) and make a comment to that effect. Maybe that'll make a difference. The club is always talking about ways to attract new members. Seems to me a coding SIG would bring in a few F10/F30 newbies.

Some of the features I've enabled in my F30 are just awesome and useful, especially actual tire pressure/temperature and weather band. I would love my car a little less if I didn't have these things now. And I'll bet a bunch more people would like these things, too.

Coding has been proven to be "safe and effective" for F30 owners. I think the best way to spread the news is via the BMW CCA.

Code:
</own.thread.hijack>
RE: Hijack:
I agree with you regarding not taking any responsibility when coding other peoples cars. I always tell people that are interested that I will not touch their car and I take no responsibility if something goes wrong. What I do is let them use my cable and laptop. They plug it in, and they do the coding themselves while I show them what to do, step-by-step. If they are not willing to do that, I suggest that they go to a shop to have it done. I've done about 12 F30's cars so far that way and never had a problem.

I also agree that the little extra things that coding provides are the cherry on top of the ice cream; TPMS, mirrors, phone ringtone, etc make the whole experience better.

[off soapbox]
Appreciate 0