View Single Post
      02-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #114
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVidale View Post
I admit to not being an expert in tire classification. So all this angst was aimed at people, such as the cited soccer moms with SUVs, who buy summer tires for their high performance, and neglect to switch tires twice a year? Not at people who use regular tires, and neglect to switch to winter tires? If so, mea culpa, but then it seems like a rare problem, and not one anyone could spot on a moving car, and still not all that fatal.
Yes, I think you misunderstood my point. Summer tires are very different from the all seasons. They get very hard and brittle as the temperature drops below freezing. I am running summers all year, because I live in Bay Area, but even in the mild winter that we have here, the decrease in grip level on cold days is definitely noticeable when I push my car.

And as for this being a rare problem, I don't know if it is all that rare among BMW owners, since in the US our cars usually come with summer tires from the factory when equipped with sports suspension. I agree this IS a rare problem for the general public.
Appreciate 0