Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by npr View Post
Hi, I have a mk7.5 230 Gti and completely echo DaveA's comment to take one on an extended test drive if you are thinking of buying a Golf. I find the road noise intolerable and if totally spoils the car for me.
I very much regret trading in my F30 320i just before lockdown for this. Golf is ok in town, which thankfully has been where I've driven it. Once out of town the road noise, when not smooth surfaces, takes away any enjoyment of driving for me. I realise I am in the minority as others on here like their golfs, but kick myself every time I drive it that I didn't take it for a long test drive.

My car went in for end of warranty check last week and re the road noise they said it was mechanically sound, just tyre noise. I'm probably inclined to agree as I had a mk7.5 golf 1.5 tsi with 16" tyres and still pretty noisy. Mine seems like more noise coming from rear. I now have to decide if I spend money to try and soundproof it or just get rid. It has 18" wheels with ps4 tyres with some life in them. 2nd hand cars quite in demand currently and not having to travel far with lockdown so may wait.

Have others that have/have had Golf's soundproofed their boots/under seats? Have any of you found quieter tyres?

There are good aspects to the car, v nice gearbox(manual), seats have lumbar support, easier to park, lights are v good, heated seats, front pdc. However there are other things that I do prefer in the bmw. Vw paintwork chips v easily, and i like how on the bmw you can choose cold air through vents if the rest of the car is warm, how engine sounded better too.

If I could make if quiet j could enjoy it for a few years before I come back and get another 3 series.

I saw a new mk8 in showroom, prefer the mk7. Don't like the digital dash with no buttons. £35K for GTE. Crazy money.
Hello npr,
I am intrigued by your comments about road noise.
I don't have a GTi but a Mk7.5 GT TDi (which I bought after thieves broke into my house, looking to pinch my 440i, and I was after something functional which i wouldnt get attached to!?). My Golf is one of the quietest cars I've owned in years, particularly at speed. Previous 2 cars were a 4 and a 3 series, both on rft's and v poorly soundproofed. The tyres on the Golf are Hankook 225/45/17, which I don't believe are the quietest. Goodyear make some pretty quiet tyres, well worth researching.
I've driven 20+ MK7 Golfs and I agree they're a quiet and pretty well refined car, probably one of its finest qualities.

The best all round car money can buy IMO.
Appreciate 2
dopper993532.50