View Single Post
      12-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #40
Rugs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
as for the engines, they gotta do what they've gotta do to keep up with the competition. sales dictate all the moves nowadays. they could stick to the "pure, traditional" N/A method, but that would lead to crappy MPG figures (something Americans view with great importance) and less impressive performance numbers. we will all feel the difference, but BMW can't solely cater to the small market of performance enthusiasts any longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
FI>NA

I for one am glad that FI is finally taking over. NA to me is like carburetor's, bias-ply tires, and hand crank starters....an idea whose time has passed.
+1000...In today's green and economically strained environment, larger displacement fuel hungry engines just aren't a viable option in the car market. Not if you want to compete as an Automobile Company.

Don't get me wrong, I'll miss the high-strung, high-revving "M" Engines (just drove a E90 & E92/M3 with DCT & 6mt last week and fell in love with them) and in enthusiast & collectors hands I'm sure they'll be around for a while.

But in a year or two when the new M3 TT comes out, it should be interesting to see it go head to head with a few cars that have been kicking it's butt at the track...the 997 Turbo & GT-R! Do ya see a pattern here? If you can't beat them w/N.A. Engines, join them and then beat em with your own Twin Turbo Engines.

I think by adopting the Smaller displacement, higher horsepower, more fuel efficient engines; BMW along with their "M" division are not only going head to head with the competition, they're insuring their Future as a competitive brand!
SMART-Top /One-Off Opaque Vinyl EYELIDS / 30% TINT / A.C.SCHNITZER Pedals / "M" Tri-Color Wheel w/Paddles / EIBACH Pro-Kit / AKEBONA F. & EBC RED-STUFF R.Dustless Pads / Drilled & Slotted ROTORS / MIRO M6 Reps / MICHELIN PS2's / U.R.Coated DP's / CYBA-QUAD Exhaust Tips / BMS-TUNED...

Last edited by Rugs; 12-01-2008 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0