View Single Post
      03-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #42
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

For those asking why on this car...I have one idea....

My guess is that BMW wanted to lower the back lid of the 3 series GT to improve the aesthetics based on the response to the 5GT. But with the sloping line of the rear window and the lower lid, a great deal of lift will be created as the long surface of the back window creates low pressure. The solution? A retractable spoiler to interrupt the airflow and reduce the low pressure that would make the back end lose at higher speeds.

On my 2008 Audi TT, the retractable spoiler served a similar aerodynamic purpose and the results could be felt.

Scott26..thanks for posting a global view here too! So nice to hear. In Taiwan, the 5series GT is often considered by buyers who cannot afford a 7 series and would otherwise buy an A8 which is fairly cheaper here. So for this buyer, the 5GT is different from the 5-series, and closer to a 7, and the 2 guys I know who have the car love it! I still think it looks a lot better when the garage is dark until after I'm inside the car though!

Last edited by Taipei-TT; 03-01-2012 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Added comment based on Scott26s earlier post.
Appreciate 0