Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
I understand not realizing that the numbers don't correlate to an engine displacement anymore, but the fact that some of you are aware and still think it is associated with something else is amazing. The numbers have nothing to do with engine displacement or "relative" power. BMW is dealing with the same thing that Mercedes and Infiniti are. Premium brands are stuck using numbers in their model designation because it is taken as a more luxurious name. The higher the number, the higher the engine output and more expensive the car is. That's it.

When they come out with the next set of engines all the numbers will bump up again and again and again. That is, until they max out the 3 digits like porsche did and silently start picking smaller numbers that they never used before. Currently saving for 2065 391i.
Wait, first you say it has nothing to do with "relative" power, then you say that "the higher the number, the higher the engine output". Do you know what "relative" means? lol.

It absolutely does have to do with relative engine output. Obviously as time marches on the numbers get higher. That's why I said relative. It's not a definitive horsepower figure, I never said it was.
Appreciate 2