View Single Post
      03-04-2016, 06:43 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
You've somehow misunderstood my description. I'm basically saying there's no turbo lag and the torque curve is flatter, so you have more power down low without having to wind the motor to generate boost. Like I said, I'm simply describing the most basic positive attribute commonly ascribed to NA engines.
Not following this at all, for me the reason for buying an N55, it has a much greater mid range than the N/A variants. Being a diesel driver as well as the petrol engines, driving the N55 is as near as you can get to having a decent amount of (diesel like) torque low down. The N52 only puts out 300Nm and comes on a reasonably flat plateau from 2,500rpm. The N55 by comparison is up to 400Nm before 1,500rpm. Makes it very useable mid range.

BMW don't show torque rising in the N55 with rpm, but power is definitely climbing and much ahead of the N52 in the 3,000 - 4,000rpm range, ~50bhp more. OK power and torque curves are not exactly according to BMW graphs in reality, but still have similar profiles, unless something is wrong with an individual engine.

If the N55 wasn't a decent performer in the mid range, I'd not be driving one, I'd be in a 3-litre diesel where torque abounds.
Appreciate 1