03-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #43
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
'12 328i Sport 6MT, 25k miles, 4 years old. Not even close to high mileage, but so far:

Mentioned a front end noise, one "thrust rod" found to be leaking fluid and was replaced.

Mentioned front end noise more specifically and reproduced with technician on a drive, I was seeking a new updated steering rack based on another user's experience, my wish was granted and so far so good.
I have a 2012 335i with 54K and at around 46K I drove it on a really bumpy road and it had a front end noise. I then realized that it sounded like a bad or blown strut tower cap and after several attempts at a couple dealerships (One completely blew me off saying it was normal), the second dealership took my advice and change that part, but in the process a few other things needed changing. Car was eventually back to normal at around 50K. The second dealership treated me really well and I like to think it is also due to my technical background and general knowledge or cars. I helped them out fix a few things without them having to look to hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
Camera system faults occurred, bad signal found from front right bumper cam. Camera and wiring replaced and re-routed through I think a less-wet path to the firewall.
Camera System warning appeared on me out of the blue a few miles ago and it would not go away. I took every connection apart to look for corrosion and I did find the front right camera location had some minor water intrusion (Not the camera itself), but the area around it. The connector was not corroded, but I cleaned it just in case. Warning went away. I also made sure the panels were put back together slightly better and I will keep an eye on it for more water intrusion.

I also read somewhere that a low battery might cause these warnings, but I know the battery still good and it is charged since I drive it quite a bit.

I was expecting the camera control module to be bad since it was giving the Camera System warning on the top view, but well see what happens.

The cameras alone are 400 USD and the cables are around 175 USD or so. I am more scared about the cables in the front primarily due to how much of a pain is to route a cable.

Driver mirror was replaced because it was loose.

CIC monitor/screen and CIC brains were replaced as well (Not sure about the later because the CIC was working fine, the screen would dim and stay dim for a while, did it twice and I took it in.

Other than that, the car has been fine.

Cars have a lot of electrical crap in the and stuff will fail. As long as the music plays, windows go up and down, and no other mechanical stuff happens with it (outside of the normal stuff like pumps, belts, etc at the right mileage), I will be very happy.
Appreciate 0