Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Following the election result in December I said Boris and his government needed to be only somewhere near competent to be re-elected on the basis majorities of the size he won are not often over-turned in one term; however, they're not managing to be even vaguely competent at the moment so yes, I can now see that majority being over-turned in 2024. And given how ruthless the Tories are, I can also see Boris starting to come under pressure from within his own party if he and his government don't buck their ideas up; however, while it's clearly possible, IMO it would take quite a chain of events for him to be removed as PM prior to the next election.
I agree with your point about the ruthlessness of the Tories. They have form here going back decades. Starmer is ahead of Johnson in the polls in terms of perceived effectiveness/popularity and that will only grow as Johnson's cabinet makes more and more of a mess of things. The Tory party won't tolerate his laziness and incompetence indefinitely. They will get rid off him, imo, and I suspect that Gove - G*d forbid - will finally get his chance
If Gove is installed as PM prior to the next election you might as well hands the keys for Number 10 to Starmer now! I'm still not convinced Boris will get pushed out but he certainly can't afford another year or two like the one he's having; ok, he's been dealt a bad hand courtesy of Covid but he hasn't played it very well....
And as Nick Robinson commented this morning, "In the past few days, the Daily Mail has portrayed Boris Johnson as a dunce, condemned him for staying silent on the exam fiasco, warned of a haemorrhaging of confidence in his government & helped to reveal his holiday hideaway. Not what the Tories are used to".