View Single Post
      09-03-2019, 05:59 AM   #23
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMS-340MP View Post
I guess engine load is different in each gear ? MHD recommend 4th gear with DSC off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
Load is different and therefore so will boost or timing.
Again, why would load be different. Doesn't make any sense.

Stage 1 3rd Gear: http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5d5a1459ae729b5f706741e8
Stage 1 4th Gear: http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5d5a1463ae729b5f706741e9

Like I said, post logs to show what you're talking about so we can fill this thread up with data. At least with bootmod3 there's no difference between gears. Boost, timing, and load are all the same. Load is primarily based on RPM and throttle angle, not gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMS-340MP View Post
Also your timing advance is quite low I guess with a bit less boost or higher octane you will get better timing and more power.

That's what happened to me when I increased the boost timing retarded which resulted to lower top end power.

I learned that more boost not always equal more power, Ignition timing is the key, If we don't get a good combustion then the extra boost is useless.

Also how do you make your own tune ? I wish I could do that.
I was planning on tuning my own car but I'm going to wait until I can get dyno time for this very reason. It's typical to keep upping the boost and then add timing until it begins to knock, but you don't make the most power that way. You need to put it on a dyno to really tell if you're making more power with the changes you make.

I agree, our cars seem to like timing more that boost.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0