Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matpan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Have a good look through realoem .com - you should be able to identify which components are common across the 18d and 20d etc.

From there you can choose a remap limit that you are happy with. In the UK the 20d has a stock output of 186bhp, and many tuners will map it to around 220. No engine mods required but you may want to consider upgrading your brakes unless you already have M-Sport brakes.

My 30d is currently remapped from 258bhp (published stock) to 350, but as all the major internals (pistons, con rods, main bearings, etc) are common with the 35d (313bhp published stock), and many people are running the 35d 'mapped to 370-400bhp, it's likely that 350 is a safe figure despite it being a ~90bhp increase.
hey thanks for the data!

any recommendations on what specific components to keep my eye out on that may impact on the upgrade? I am quite sure injectors for example, differ, but most of the engine is basically the same.

In short, which components are a red flag if they are not upgraded when tuning?

Sorry, trying to get some knowledge out of this too

Thanks!!
I don't know how active/expert the remappers are in the US for BMWs but in the UK we have a lot of choice.

The 18d is basically a detuned 20d (just a different map) and AFAIK the main components are the same.

Given that the block, crank, main bearings, con rods and pistons are (AFAIK) all common, the 18d has plenty of latent potential which can be unlocked by a software-only remap.

Unless you want to achieve a huge increase in bhp (say >240, in which case perhaps better to start with a more appropriate engine i.e. not an 18d) you may not need to upgrade any engine components.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0