View Single Post
      10-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #10
JimKden
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
That’s a lot of good info Jim, thank you. I am indeed using the Eurospec 5w-40. This one. Do you have any idea what the starting TBN is for the AMSOIL products you have used? ...

When I filled up with Amsoil for my current OCI, I got back that same feeling that I had when I ran the the Pennzoil. Do you have any idea what group that this particular oil I’m using belongs to? When I called them and asked they told me it it is a true, 100% synthetic, but they wouldn’t tell me if it was a group four or five.
Generally the Amsoil TBN is 11-12 but oils made for the European market specs could be different. Their oils are a group IV oil base except for the XL and OE lines of oils that are group III. They make about 50 different oils for various applications, some have more specific additives for things like rust inhibitors for engines in temporary storage and marine applications. Motorcycle oils have different friction requirements for clutch. The reasons go on and on for different applications. Best to refer to their on line application guide.

There will be more comparison tests published of their oil against popular competitors. These will always be done to an ASTM standard test, not a home grown test. At one time competitors griped openly but shut up when challenged, Red Line and Penzoil were a couple.
Appreciate 1
IraHayes154.00