View Single Post
      01-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #47
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberle View Post
I pulled the trigger on the LSD and had it installed this week. So far very happy with the results. Car feels all around smoother and handles nicely even in simple every day driving.

Out of all the benefits or characteristics I read regarding an LSD, something I had not expected was a difference in the way the engine sounds on accelerations. More "angry": when before it was more of a loud "hum", now it's like every piston stroke can be heard more deliberately. At first I thought it was just me, but my girlfriend noticed it too when I took her for a ride. The only thing I can think of is simply that the difference in the feeling of grip changed the way in which I am applying throttle. (Of course this is just a function of how I react to it, as opposed to a feature of it in itself)

Had a word with the head engineer over at the BMW dealership regarding coding:

He said that no coding was necessary during installation as this was a mechanical adjustment to the car that did not concern the electronics.

I did not want to press him on the issue, after all, he's the expert and I'm not.

Left me wondering though, given what I've read in this thread.
Interesting, never thought of that...
I recently drove a 340i ZHP with the LSD standard, the first thing I noticed was significant harder pull from stop to 30 MPH and the better acceleration coming out of corners where my 335i MPPK standard axle breaks loose way too easy or starts to lose grip on any imperfect surface. I was debating putting a LSD on mine or just taking the plunge on a new ZHP. That being said, I could hear the sound being deeper after your install, because the traction would be much better, thus not activate the traction control (instant de-tune to keep from spinning wheels). Which LSD unit did you get? who did you buy from?

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 0