View Single Post
      09-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
Sam@Bimmerpost
Contributor - Editor
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Silverstone

BIMMERPOST Tests BMW 340i with M Performance Parts at COTA

This post is part of a three part series. See the other posts/videos on the M2 and M3 with M Performance parts at:

BIMMERPOST Tests BMW M2 with M Performance Parts at COTA
BIMMERPOST Tests BMW M3 with M Performance Parts at COTA

Review: 340i with M Performance Parts

BIMMERPOST was recently at Circuit of the Americas to sample a variety of BMWs equipped with M Performance Parts. The second car I drove was the 340i!

Some additional notes:

The 340i's power-to-grip ratio is unlike anything else on offer at M Track Day. It may not have as much power as the M cars, but it has significantly less grip. Where the M cars always feel very balanced and on-rails, needing deliberate provocation to break rear traction, the 340i with LSD slides its tail easily and with natural ease. It is frisky, intuitive, controllable and delightful! With stability control on, individual wheel braking happens early and the 340i's antics are reined in abruptly. While this is safe and stable, it also robs the 340i of its playfulness. I enjoy the 340i most with DSC disabled. The M Performance LSD is to thank for the 340i's predictable power oversteer and it is my favorite M Performance part for this car.

While the 340i may not have the grip, stability and composure of the blue blooded M cars, it remains supremely balanced and entertaining. In a way, it is even more fun because it demands more of the driver to extract performance. I expect its compliance, predictability and smoothness to translate very well to the street. It would take self-restraint for me to drive this car sensibly on the public road!

There is no M Performance coilover suspension available for the 340i. You have to make do with the factory M sport suspension. It feels biased for the street but there is enough firmness to work well on the track. This car feels like a great all-rounder.

My only real complaint about the 340i are the rather flat feeling seats, especially in contrast to the supportive seats in the M cars. I am also not a fan of the M Performance steering wheel with LCD display. It makes for a great show piece at cars and coffee, but the reality is that focusing your eyes back and forth between the road and the small digital display is tiresome and nearly impossible when driving on the track. My recommendation is to get the LSD, followed by the Power and Sound Kit before considering the other upgrades.

There is a variety of customisation available with the M Performance cosmetic parts such as the front spoiler. Please refer to the following documents for more information.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 10.24.59 AM.jpg
Views: 12819
Size:  178.5 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 10.23.53 AM.jpg
Views: 12083
Size:  264.2 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 10.23.34 AM.jpg
Views: 11885
Size:  246.7 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 10.24.09 AM.jpg
Views: 11706
Size:  235.8 KB