View Single Post
      11-17-2018, 02:24 AM   #83
NickyF
Rep
Drives: 458 Spider, Panamera Turbo ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Fucking hell, do 5 series not come with cruise control then ?

Tight bastards at BMW these days, putting that on the options list.

---------------------------

In all seriousness, set your cruise control at 75-78 on motorways. It's far less stressful driving that way, you get to your destination only marginally later, and you're far less tired doing so.

I used to drive on the motorways at 90-100, all the time. Then one day I tried sticking just over the limit on the speedo (so probably doing a real 68-70). I got to my destination 70 miles away (most of the journey was on motorway) a few minutes later than normal, but zero stress level, not continually scanning the bridges for cars or vans, not wondering if the black Mondeo was a police car ... just relaxing, and enjoying the drive.

I'm no angel. I'll readily admit, I occasionally speed on 'normal' A roads - that I know very well (including where the camera vans can park up). But in restricted areas, or on dual carriageways or motorways, I won't even consider it. One set the potential consequences don't bear thinking about, the other set there is too much enforcement to risk it.
It's the opposite for me. I find driving at 70 or 80 means you're in the pack of morons who aren't concentrating and normally you get tail gated. I also find myself getting bored and distracted when I travel at that speed for long distances. If I drive at 90 or 95 I have to be on my game, watching for dosy sods pulling out, monitoring for speed cameras, etc. I don't do it to get somewhere quicker, I honestly think it's safer.

I use Waze religiously, it's very good at warning you about all types of speed cameras. It works much better with Carplay than I thought it would too.

@op feel for you, as others have said this could easily happen to me. Hope you don't get too badly fined.
Appreciate 1
Watsey6403.50