01-11-2019, 10:21 PM   #21
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It's interesting, as it seems to confirm that Ceratec reduces friction in the engine. I knew that when my 0-60 times went down while mileage went up after using it. But that's not the primary reason to use it. That would be engine life. The nano particles provide a second method of lubrication over and above that of oil alone, reducing friction better than what either oil or nano particles alone are capable of. Less friction means less wear on bearings, rings, camshafts, pistons, and with any luck the oil pump and timing chain.
I'll be the first to admit that I've not done much research on Ceratec so I'll avoid directly refuting or agreeing with what you said, because like I said, I just don't know enough about it. I just posted that video because it fit the discussion, but from what I have gathered, it doesn't seem like enough to convince me to dump some into my engine. In the end of the video wrap-up, the guy even said that the ability of Ceratec to reduce wear in the lubricity test via film strength was nominal and that other additives he tested performed better in that regard. That's the type of friction reduction, or lubricity that you're tying in when you mention lessening wear on rings, bearings, cams etc., not to be confused with the test wherein rpms on the lawnmower engine increased. That test tested internal friction, or resistance from the oil against the piston's motion, which is, at least as one would be lead to believe by the presentation of the video, separate from Ceratec's ability to reduce wear. So: ability to reduce wear via film strength and increase engine life, nominal, insignificant. Ability to reduce internal friction and resistance against the pistons motion and thus increase fuel economy, significant. Mmmm, maybe I did directly refute/agree with some of the stuff you said... oh well.

I am interested in the difference in 0-60 times you noticed, because I'd bet dollars to donuts that it was not due to the Ceratec, but was caused by outstanding circumstances, i.e. temperature, altitude, wind direction, weight in the car, the way you launched it, etc. It seems like it's not out of the realm of possibility for Ceratec to give you an extra horsepower or two due to its ability to reduce friction and resistance in the cylinder, but we both know that won't make a difference in 0-60 times, unless you're measuring to the 100th decimal place.

Last edited by rjd_F30; 01-11-2019 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0