View Single Post
      07-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
My question really is concerning any incremental improvements following complaints or feedback from the market.

On a side note to the ones who don't see how marginally crappy sometimes the F30 interior feels, sit in an F10 and then switch back to F30. Newer car with worse interior quality.
Quality issues typically improve over production without needing to broadcast the changes. That is why a run-out model is usually a better buy than a new model, as normally all the issues are sorted.

Personally I don't agree on the current F30/31/34 models being worse in quality, (I recognize there are some serious build quality issues in some cars) but different and definitely trim/interior colour sensitive. Having been very picky with several 3-series examples, I don't see this drop off in overall quality which many are hung up on. Remember the E9* models looked cheap after the E46, (again very trim sensitive) but in reality they were decent builds for materials and quality. Now, we often use them as the benchmark for perceived BMW quality in the 3-series. Personally I find the F3* models a very refreshing design, get the trim/colour combination to our taste and a good place to be, feels every bit a decent BMW.

But when we compare to a 5-series, then yes we will see a difference, the 5-series is a roll down of the 7-series, (we five drivers get the benefit of that move) it is not a bigger 3-series. We can't compare to the 3-series as it takes a different design approach for a different market. IMO, latest 1 & 3-series models are more akin to each other, more so than thinking a 3 will ever be a small 5.

I was going to buy an F31 wagon to replace my E91 wagon, but decided to go back to a 5-series. I own an F11 wagon and had an F30 for a few days a couple of weeks ago. They are definitely in different classes and aimed at different markets from my perspective.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0