View Single Post
      04-07-2018, 04:24 AM   #163
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
Ok.. so I have been digging across the forums, and Google-Fu, and not come up with any concreate answer so asking here:

What should I consider too high for catalyst temps?

I am still running factory cats of course, and am waiting on the AA high flow DP. I also am working on making sure I am getting ACCURATE stats through Torque Pro, pulling the right info in the right way.

That said, I am looking at the PID "Catalyst Temperature Bank 1, Sensor 1" and have that logged for the last couple of runs, I have done.

I ran logs with that PID on my dyno build and saw temps as high as 1511F, on my couple of street runs, to gather data, 15.2 max turbo. I then flashed to the new more aggressive build where I saw as high as 17.8lbs and now catalyst temps as high as 1608F. They came off quickly as I backed off, but should I be concerned?

Searching around I found E90s talking about 1100s being average driving, and spikes as high as 1600, but didn't find anything outright for F32s.

I know I have about max back pressure possible right now with all of the upgrades above the factory DP, but am I at risk here? I DO NOT want to tear my car up.. I cannot afford a motor, and am MORE than willing to back off substantially until I replace my DP if needed.

thoughts?
Those are some high egts. Be careful Steph! Nick told me that the stock catalytic converters can get very very hot and that I would need to upgrade them or go catless. Timing and fueling is important as well. Hopefully they did not pull too much timing under boost. Too much fuel has to be watched also. Call Nic!
Ususally if I remember right 1300 degrees was usually the highest safe value but I am going to double check. I think it’s time to go high flow cat or cat less to protect those pistons at those boost levels. Google safe egts!! Be easy and I would lower the boost or take it easy till you change the catalyst. The stock cat may not be able to handle the tune/boost under sustained WOT causing high temps.

Last edited by ceedawg; 04-07-2018 at 05:43 AM..
Appreciate 0