View Single Post
      07-09-2021, 10:01 AM   #53
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe30 View Post
Thanks for posting that video. When listening, I thought I could perceive the difference in the intensity of sound when comparing the two. There are a couple of things to consider with this experiment

1) you did not measure or keep a consistent distance between the comparisons
2) decibels are given on a logarithmic scale, so small changes can equal fairly large results.
I am aware of all the factors influencing an exhaust video; mic quality/type, distance/orientation relative to exhaust, acoustics from the environment, video/palyback quality, speaker quality, etc. This is why i always say trying to gather how an exhaust is going to sound based on a video is not a great idea given.

But to answer your question, the first two before/after videos were filmed with the same phone at basically the same distance/orientation relative to the exhaust so i considered the factors above to the extent possible. dB readings were from the same phone. Yes, i know its logarithmic. The bottom line is that OEM DP to fabspeed with no change in exhaust is almost negligible given how much the stock exhaust mutes everything. The resonator delete is what made the real difference. The final video was filmed with a different mic (GoPro hero8), different orientation, engine under load, etc.
Appreciate 1