View Single Post
      07-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #28
PeaceWalker87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC/E70 X5 35i/E39 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
From what I've seen on multiple forums over the last for years I think there's 2 different knocking types with the F30 racks.

1) knocking when rocking the steering side to side AND also knocking when driving over irregular roads.

2) knocking when rocking steering side to side only. Some only when the engine is off, others that are slightly worse still knock a little when rocking the steering with the engine running.

I think it the earlier racks like the one in your 2012 car that tend to also knock whilst driving over irregular roads though. BMW modified the rack multiple times.
I believe BMW is on the 5th rack for the F chassis.. we'd have to find out later on from 2017+ cars if this issue develops again

[QUOTE=motoring_101;25026367][QUOTE=PeaceWalker87;25019912]
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoring_101 View Post

When you tighten the pre-load tension, you're basically leaving no space between the rack and pinion gears......

Thanks for the clarification, it sounds to me like you think it is not so much the adjusting of the Nut, but the lack of measurement when doing so, which causes the problem.

Looking at the process you posted for installing the repair kit there is some very detailed measuring and aligning going on!!

Mine only knocks when engine off so not too worried at present, will look into further if it starts making noises when engine on.

+1.. hopefully it won't get too bad for you. I've also heard that if you use your steering wheel as some sort of handle to get out of the car, it could create unwanted tension on the rack. honestly, that's how I first reproduced the noise when the car was off.. I was getting out of the car and used the steering wheel as leverage.