View Single Post
      12-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #21
ioannisG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
Honest question - what’s the point? Is this just technology for technology’s sake?

Our heating comes on it the morning and evening and for the few times we are late from say work, I’m sure the extra hour of gas usage is next to nothing and timers on lamps keep the house looking occupied.

I don’t see the point of Alexa either. If we run out of bog roll, I’ll write a note on the fridge.
Not sure about Hive as I haven’t used it but with tado you can:
1. When you leave the house the heating turns down automatically and the further you go the lower it sets the house temperature saving you money. When you are on your way home it automatically preheats the house so it’s nice and warm before you arrive. It uses your phone’s gps and an app to automatically do that. So you always come back to a warm house without wasting any energy
2. Individual room temperatures and schedules without having a multi zone heating setup
3. Much more accurate temperature control. It reads the weather and adjusts for how long it heats your house so it doesn’t overshoot or undershoot the target temperature. It can keep the temperature to within .1-.2 degrees C which is simply astonishingly consistent. No more too hot/ too cold.
4. Automatic open window detection. If you open your windows it recognises it by he sudden drop in temperature and humidity. So it turns the heating off for a preset amount of time
5. Convenience- being able to remotely turn on and off the thermostat, change schedules etc
6. You can graph out how long and how much your heating was on for each day
7. It has a semi published api which you can use to pull / push data and commands from it. For example I’ve created a workflow running of my NAS that detects when the wife sets the thermostat to 25. And after 30 mins turns the heating back down so she doesn’t overheat the house, as she forgets to turn it down when I’m not there
Appreciate 1