07-31-2019, 04:57 PM   #63
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnmdahl View Post
Ground clearance with the 06-22 kit installed (with Bilstein B8 shocks) is about 12cm in front, and about 16cm in the back, measured at each axle from the ground to the plastic fairings that seem to form a pretty flat plane along the bottom of the car using a flat piece of plywood pressed against the car bottom. It's a little lower in front than I expected it would be (almost an inch and a half lower than in the rear), but I suppose that's preferable to having it even a touch higher than in the rear.

Although 12cm is over 4.5 inches of ground clearance, I've still lightly scraped the front bumper a couple times driving in and out of driveways so I don't really want it lower. My focus was on making a daily driver handle better and be more fun rather than on achieving a lowered look, so I suspect the 06-22 kit will still be the right choice for some people. Note I also live in Minnesota, where snowfalls of 4+ inches are fairly common, and having a little bit of ground clearance will be beneficial during that part of the year as well.

John

Edit - there's definitely more distance from the top of the wheel to the bottom of the fender in front vs. in rear (12cm vs about 10.5cm), but not so much it looks visibly off - see the attached photo. Because the front undercarriage is already a fair bit lower than the rear, I don't think I'd lower the front more for my purposes.
It looks good, plus more ground clearance for snowy areas with bad roads. It also takes care of the ridiculous wheel gap of xDrive in the front. I'm also leaning towards 06-22 with B8s.
Appreciate 0