View Single Post
      08-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #21
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

resurrecting this old bastard...

So I got a call from the folks at Crevier BMW today re: my car which has 2 mos left on the lease and they said I could buy my current car for $4000 off the residual value, so $27k and change. Thats a few grand more than a comparable car would be off the lot. Here's where I'm at:

My lease was for 30k miles and because of unforseen life changes in the past year, my mileage will be 7000 miles over in a few months, maybe more. I was told @ 23 cents p/mile, it will cost me $1771 to hand my car back in. There is also some minor damage (long scratches etc.) to the rear bumper that I couldnt' care less about that they will definitely ding me for so I would need to pay a few hundred to get that fixed. Plus 2 of my tires are close to below tread depth so tach on buying 2 more tires for that, so ballpark, it would cost at least $2000 to hand my car back to BMW. Seems stupid to me. Not to mention the sheer hassle of getting into a whole other car. I am over leasing for a while so it would be some CPO car. I have bought 2 CPO cars in my life, 1 was ok (Tacoma) and 1 was a total lemon (GTI). So I don't believe in the power of CPO and that warranty is almost nothing when compared to the premium you pay on a CPO car.

I am also looking at overall cost. My lease was dirt cheap. Total cost of lease over 3 years including drive off and everything was $13,750. Quote to buy my car is like $27,171. MSRP on my car was $49500 and selling price, I think, was like $42,500. So around $41000 for the car, plus sales tax on the purchase. So end of the day, the car was still a really good deal.

Could I buy a CPO similar for less? Sure. I'd save a few grand. Well, actually I wouldnt because I would have to pay $2k to give them my car back. Then I'd be in some used BMW that I am assuming is ok. My car has been flawless, its been good to me, I still love it, the windows are tinted, had a bunch of coding done, etc. Getting another car just feels like a hassle. I'm also getting some quotes and offers on current 3 series and the deals just aren't what they used to be. $4-500 for some new 3 series, which I had as a loaner and was underwhelmed by and again, I don't want to get into another lease.

So yeah, there it is. Stuck with the current car for a while. Maybe in a few years, I will trade up, if theres any equity I can get into something else. I just don't want the hassle of getting into another car so for anyone considering this, that is the current deal BMW Financial is running on certain 2016 models. $4k off residual, done deal.

And no, I'm not going to do any warranties or anything. Fuck it. Waste of money. I have another year on the bumper to bumper and free maintenance and I'm just gonna roll the dice and stay up on maintenance. I think the n20 F30s are pretty reliable all in all.

Thar she blows. F30 for life brah

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 1
kern4174449.50