01-19-2016, 05:05 AM   #66
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
I drive 700 to 1000 miles a week. If you aren't driving those distances however, the savings in gas isn't paying for itself which is why it isn't economically feasible.
But I do drive that much. I've done many financial comparisons with EVs and hybrids vs. ICE cars, and depending upon the car chosen and at level of mileage it is used for, some EVs or hybrids at least do pay off within the lifetime use of the vehicle. A few years ago I ran a life cycle financial comparison of a Tesla S vs. my E90 to 200,000 miles. The Tesla came out about $20K more expensive to run to 200,000 miles. Get that $20K out of the price of the Tesla, and things even up. Get more than $20K out of the price, like the Bolt possibly will, and the equation reverses. For me, if the financials work out to be even or slightly in favor of the EV, then it's on my list for consideration. But the situation is I have several cars to drive long distances, so a 200-mile range EV just for my daily commute makes sense. And as anyone who owns a BMW knows, the reason BMWs are expensive to own is because the need to have a 2nd car to drive while the Bimmer is in the shop.

But like I stated before I like EVs because it's plain to see the manual transmission is on it's way out and EVs mostly are single gear transmissions, so they don't shift at the wrong time. And because the price of electricity remains constant over time (yeah I know, O'Bama is trying to screw that up too) unlike gasoline, which is priced purely based on political reasons.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0