View Single Post
      01-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #18
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
It will feel like similar performance. If you've driven a Turbo 4 versus a NA inline six, you'll know that the feeling the turbo gives you is deceptive and can make it feel faster than it actually is.
I actually drive a turbo four fairly regularly and find the seat-of-the-pants feel jibes pretty closely to what I would expect based on the quoted figures. It has lots of torque for its displacement, yes, but it nevertheless is (and feels) like a pretty slow car overall. Of course, it isn't supposed to be a fast car so I don't have any issue with it in that respect. And I realize an E90 328i isn't really a fast car either. But I know for a fact, from driving them on a number of occasions and from simply reading about experiences from owners here and elsewhere, that they are (and do feel, as well) much faster than a high 7 second 0-100 acceleration time.

Quote:
I don't think what they are stating is too far off base.
Relatively speaking, sure.

But for that matter, you could say that, relatively speaking an F30 328i is almost as fast as an F30 335i. Or, I could say an E92 M3 performs just about like an F10 M5. Or plenty of other loosy-goosy comparisons of cars that are within 10-25% of each other's performance.

For people who buy a 320i, it probably doesn't really matter in most cases anyway. But the way BMW described the car certainly stuck out to me as taking some very liberal artistic license. I am very confident that when the magazines get ahold of this car, they are not going to be suggesting it can keep pace with an E90 328i. Although I will say that I figure it can probably keep up with (or close to) the outgoing Canadian E90 323i, which in the end is all it really needs to do.
Appreciate 0