View Single Post
      01-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #45
StraightSix-d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d Luxury (2015)

Well, I'm really glad that the 'Luxury' model's getting some love from M-Sport crowd

Brief answers to various points:
Road noise reduction by ditching the run-flats: sadly, not possible as this is a lease vehicle. So, I'm stuck with the noise.

Comfort & Suspension
I have to re-emphasise just how comfortable and smooth the ride is. It's like sipping a pint of Guinness with that extra creamy head. Really, really smooth, and that on 18” run-flats. So the adaptive suspension must be doing something right.

My old Alfa GTV (below) gave me enough rock-hard suspension to not wish to repeat the experience.

Name:  Alfa GTV.JPG
Views: 957
Size:  454.4 KB

MPG difference from E90 325d to F30 330d
My previous E90 returned an average 45-50 mpg from a well run in engine on around 30,000 miles. So far, I'm getting around 39-42 mpg after having only done 1380 miles on a mix of A-roads and motorway driving. I'm hoping that the mpg number improves after 10k miles.

Engine Noise: for a diesel, this is as good as it's going to get. My previous E90 with its M57 engine had a really bassy rumble, which I really grew to like.

Blanking the wing mirror indicators
I stood behind the car in the approximate position of a driver in my blind spot, locked and unlocked the car to get the indicator lights to work and saw bright flashes from the wing mirrors. So, my mod is effective at not blinding me and being visible to drivers behind me.

8KA Oelservice Int. 30.000 Km/24 Months (Oelwartungsint. 30.000km/24monate)
This is an option listed in the VIN decoder for this car. I'm guessing that this really means an oil service is only required at 24 months or 30k Km. On my previous E90, I changed the oil after 10-12k miles. Is it really safe to go for 30k Km without an oil service and rely on CBS?

A few more minor annoyances
• Lack of printed manual for Navigation/CD/Music system. I've had to find US versions to better understand the system. Pathetic cost cutting by BMW?

• It's now impossible to select cabin temperature for both driver and passenger with one button, as you could with the “ALL” button in the E90. You have to push two separate buttons. Why?

It's all about the Drive
So in the end, despite my (justified) moans, it all comes down to the drive, right? And here, 330d delivers. As others have commented, its grip, power delivery, the feeling of sure-footedness and seemingly inexhaustible reserves of torque and power puts a smile on my face, every single time I drive this.

it's a real shame that US drivers doesn't get this model.

....I almost forgot to mention..

Where the Fiat 500 Sport beats the F30 330d
• Split-folding rear seats at no extra cost.
• Daytime Running Lights which can be turned off.
• Auto Stop/Start which can be permanently disabled.
• Driver and passenger cabin temperature can be set with one button.
Review

Last edited by StraightSix-d; 01-11-2016 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0