View Single Post
      04-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscardin View Post
I started doing that and it kind of works but it is still a pain. The nice part about the normal browsing is you can go to Podcasts->Podcast Name->Episode and then play it. With a smart playlist you just have a list of _all_ podcasts and the best I can do is sort by date.

I've started creating individual smart playlists for each Podcast Name but that kind of sucks too. I'm just kind of shocked that even with all the tech options the most basic of iPod interfaces is not being used by the car. In my Audi the top level screen looked just like a standard iPod menu and you could browse away. From what I've seen this is what you get with the cradle as well but spending another $300-400 after already opting for the technology package is kind of a kick in the nuts.
With an iPhone that uses the pre-Lightning connector, you can buy a snap-in adapter (if you also bought BMW Apps) and get a close approximation of the iPod interface. I forget if it includes Podcasts or not -- but I don't think so.

Lots of people here think the snap-in adapter is stupid, useless or worse. I actually like it. Once your iPod is in it, you never need to go to the device for the things you get with USB plus the iPod interface.

I create smart playlists and call them "A1 - [podcast I like most name]', "A2 - [podcast I like second best]".

In this way, the playlists are updated automatically, show at the top of the playlists in iDrive and are sorted by my preferences. You can use all the iTunes selectors to have the playlist download unplayed episodes, all episodes, etc. And the iPhone will keep your place so that it's possible to start listening outside the car, then continue inside.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0