View Single Post
      06-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Be thankful you have a choice. At my primary residence, the only real high speed broadband I have access to is Comcast. Overall the service has been pretty good but the stupidity about having asynchronous speeds is just beyond me. Verizon only offers DSL in this area because they entered into an anti consumer deal with the cable companies about getting cellular RF space in exchange for not entering into new market areas with FIOS where they don't already have a presence.

At my vacation place, it's even worse. I have to deal with Mediacrap...I mean Mediacom. Those bastards are blatantly traffic shaping my usage as when I stream anything, the video gets throttled to a crawl. But they're the only game in town as Verizon doesn't even offer DSL...only POTS service. The only other real options are cellular Internet and satellite.

Comcast I'm paying about $86 a month for 150/10 service. Mediacrap I'm paying about $50 for 20/2 service. I also looked into getting business class service with Comcast and got sticker shock. I'll pay if the service seems reasonable for the cost. But at $140 a month for 50/10 service just so I can get more than one public IP is way too much. I checked on what the next tier speed would cost and at 100/20, it comes out at $180 a month.
Appreciate 0