06-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #149
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewill233 View Post
Thank you for your reply, I am in the UK, what's the differences between 0w-30 and 0w-40? my engine is brand-new and someone said for new engine is best to stick to 0w-30 rather than 5w-30 is that true? thanks
I switched from a 5w-40 to a 0w-40. Not any reason in particular for me switching from the 5w to the 0w other than to "try it out." One thing I did notice is that my engine actually reaches operating temp several minutes more quickly, which I guess is the point with a 0w vs 5w, I just didn't think it would be a noticeable difference. As someone else mentioned though, if you don't live somewhere where the temps reach freezing, the difference between a 0w vs a 5w are going to be more or less inconsequential.

I use 40 over 30 because I live in southern California where temperatures in excess of 100°F in the summer are the norm, as is sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for hours on end. If you make it a habit to flog your car pretty often, you are also better off with the 40. I also like the idea of the thicker oil for a little added protection of the turbo bearings. I do a fair amount of uphill driving where my work takes me several times/month, so it gives me a little more peace of mind when the turbo is really being put through its paces.
Appreciate 1
sspade2466.00