View Single Post
      02-19-2020, 08:38 AM   #28
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
I went on a long drive yesterday, looked at every single car, thousands of them, and not one stood out the way the BMW ones do, even when it was a big and complicated design.
Since BMW have been moving to their latest designs and huge grilles, I've been doing much like your trip, looking at the whole car market.

I've come to the conclusion most car designs are verging on hideous these days, BMW is just 'one' in a pack of bad design.

Grilles specifically, saw a Audi this morning, (Q7?) massive grille that dominated the front, nothing good about it at all, IMO.

I agree to a degree that the 'visual' across the front of the BMW models, is out of proportion, but there is a design element that is part of BMW heritage. It is difficult to get a modern take on some elements of the past. The grille does seem to be a problem, as balanced proportions are key to the BMW look. That seems to be getting lost, which ever way the grilles are sized and placed.

Go back to the facelift on the E12 back in the 1970's, the top of the grille was raised into the bonnet form, but has some symmetry. It's an example of the legacy which BMW seem to be trying to incorporate in the modern design language.

On the Audi front, the "single-frame" grille is still debated, (and photo shopped), it is not just BMW having a problem.

Here is one example:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/y842elj/

Last edited by HighlandPete; 02-19-2020 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0