07-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #78
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
AFAIK, FSC codes are still used. If the car needs a new FSC code, it prompts for it before it starts loading the new maps.

For your case, I think the FSC code built into your car at the factory was already enabled for the 2104-2 map (sequence 0x05) even though it was loaded with 2014-1 (sequence 0x04). I've heard of this happening in the US too.

I'm guessing that when you start the installation of a new map, the software checks that the map region codes match and only prompts for a new FSC code if the installing map sequence number is greater than the sequence number stored in the cars' current FSC.

This would explain the ability to revert maps to prior versions (which I have heard other people doing) without having to re-install an old FSC code.

This has interesting implications!
While visiting the plant in SC the other day, I was told that new production cars will automatically update the NAV through the 4G connection built into cars... They said it started with some 2014 models and should be in the 2015's... I was told they are not charging for them (that it was built into the price of the car)... Fact or some employee hearing from somebody else and relaying - not sure - but that is what the guy told me... So this could be your case why it didn't ask for FSC code? not sure... (but then again, if it was your case, then it should have already updated the maps I suppose).
Appreciate 1